Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Asking & Giving Directions. Ampli 1º Bto.


Excuse me. How can I get to……..?
I’m sorry, I don’t know.
I’m a stranger here myself.
Thank you anyway.
Go through the ……….into ……….Street.
Turn left past the Town Hall.                                         
That’s the biggest/smallest building on the left.
You’ll see post office in front of you.
You can’t miss it.
Where is the entrance?
Is it far from here?
Just a few minutes on foot.

Excuse me. Where is the bus stop?
Is there a post office near here?
Over there, near the police station.
The chemist’s is on the right.
The bank is on the left.
Between the post office and the cafe.
In front of the shopping centre.
Behind the taxi rank.
Next to the car park.
Excuse me, can you tell me the way to………?


Go along Oxford Street.
Go straight on.
Turn right / turn left.
Turn right at the traffic lights.
Turn left at the roundabout.                         
Take the second turning on the right.           
First on the right.
It’s the second street on the left.
Go down the street. / Go up the street.
10 minutes by car/on foot.
5 minutes walk.
It’s no distance at all.

Now you can practice:

Exercises
1.- Read the dialogue and fill in the missing words.
·  Excuse me. How can I ………to St Mary’s Church?
I’m sorry, I don’t know. I’m a …………..here myself.
·  Thank you anyway.
Excuse me. Do you know ………….St Mary’s Church
is?
·  Yes. Go through the Golden Gate ……….Long
Street, and then ………….left past the Town Hall –
that’s the biggest building ………..the left. You’ll see
St Mary’s Church in ………….of you. You can’t miss
it, it’s enormous.
Fine. Where is the entrance?
·  ……………..the left.
Is it far ……………..here?
·  No, just a few minutes ………..foot.
Thank you very much.
·  You’re……………..

2.- Match the halves to make sentences.
1. Excuse me. How …..        a. I get there?
2. Is it far …..                     b. the bus stop?
3. Show me …..                  c. from here?
4. How can …..                   d. can I get to the centre?
5. Excuse me. Where is ….. e. near here?
6. Is the underground …..     f. on the map, please.

3.- Rearrange the sentences to make the dialogues.
A.
…..Certainly. Take the first street on the left, then the second on the right.
…..First on the left, second on the right...
…..Can you tell me the way to the post office, please?
…..That's right.
…..Excuse me!
…..Thanks a lot.
…..Yes?
B.
…..Thank you very much
…..Is it far from here?
…..Go down this road, then take the second street on the left.
…..Oh, no. It's just five minutes' walk.
. …..Excuse me. How can I get to the railway station, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment