Sunday, November 4, 2012

Ampliación 1º Bachillerato: Preferences


Unit 3

Here you have some notes on preferences which could help you to understand 
Preferences
1) WOULD LIKE
It is used as a polite way of saying “want”, especially in requests and offers.
a) would like+ noun. Ex. I would like some chocolate.
 b) would like+ to infinitive Ex. I would like to finish soon.
 c) would like+ noun object+pronoun+ to infinitive. Ex. I would like Peter to visit us.
It is the same construction as want, but would like is more educated.
2) WOULD PREFER
It is used to say what someone wants to do in a particular situation (not in general)
a) would prefer+ noun. Ex. I’d prefer a magazine.
b) would prefer +to infinitive. Ex She would prefer to stay.
c) would prefer+ to infinitive…rather than+ bare infinitive. Ex. I would prefer to stay rather than go.
3) PREFER TO DO or PREFER DOING.
Both are used to say what you prefer in general. Prefer to do is more usual
a) Prefer+noun/v. –ing + to + noun/v. –ing. Ex. I prefer coffee to tea. Or I prefer reading a book to watching TV.
b) Prefer + to+ infinitive. Ex. I prefer to stay at home tonight.
c) Prefer + to infinitive… rather than+ bare infinitive. Ex. I prefer to stay in rather than leave.
4) WOULD RATHER
This expression is followed by the infinitive without to and means “would prefer to”
a) With no change in subject, followed by bare infinitive. Ex. I’d rather sit and rest.
b) With change in subject, followed by a past tense with present or future meaning. 
                                     Ex. I’d rather you told me the plan.
            To talk about past actions the past perfect tense is used. 
                                     Ex. I’d rather you hadn’t done that.
Practical English Usage. Michael Swam. Oxford


No comments:

Post a Comment